Friday, January 14, 2011

Redemption

One of the songs from the alternative Christian band, Jars of Clay, is called: Redemption.
We look out way down past the road we came from ...
We're looking at redemption;
It was hidden in the landscape
Of loss and love and fire and rain.
Never would have come this way.
Looking for Redemption.
There is a truth in these lyrics many of us can easily recognize, especially those who have dealt with serious hardships and setbacks in relationships, employment, finances, or health. It is oftentimes through these crosses that we ultimately find God "hiding".

Redemption -- or the search for it – is the common thread running through nearly all letters from incarcerated men. These men live a very meager and solitary existence. They have nothing but time to think over their past and consider their potentially bleak future. Some come to grips with the consequences of their actions, some wallow in regret. But if they don't spend too much time dwelling on their past, spiral into despondency, live in complete denial, and/or become angry at God and their circumstances, many seem to eventually gain their footing. Strengthened with hope they begin their journey of faith -- looking for peace, looking for Redemption. (Christ tells us that all those who seek, find.) This letter received from Monty shows the power of faith and hope. Read it and you'll see what I mean.


Monty S. #215642
Lieber Correctional Institution
Ridgeville, SC

I am 43 years of age. I have one child, my son [name withheld]. My mom, dad, and older brother are all deceased. I have a younger brother who lives in Georgia. At least he did the last time I heard from him, which was about 10 years ago when our older brother passed away. I have not heard from my son in quite some time either. It wasn’t always like this, but I have been imprisoned here for 15 years and over time I have come to be completely alone or at least out of contact with them. Sometimes I feel as though I must no longer even exist to them.

As bad as this is, the greatest thing to ever happen to me in my life happened here in this prison. That great thing was my discovery of and continuing love and devotion to my Lord and my God and the Catholic Church. This discovery has totally and completely transformed my life. My thinking, lifestyle, goals, and desires are all now shaped by my faith in Christ. Our Divine Redeemer loves me and has led me to the only place on this earth where I can and have found true peace, love, and happiness — even bliss — in the midst of my adversity.

This is a terrible place I live in but I have all God’s angels and saints on my side and I will be okay. It took me some time to make the connection but the love and joy I feel now is like nothing I have ever experienced and I want to share that with everyone because it is only going to get better. The best is yet to come. We have a growing Catholic community here and we do have some snags to work out, but through the grace of our Lord we will make it. Of that there is no question or doubt.
Please take care, keep us all in your prayers, and keep in touch. Thank you again for caring and taking the time to write.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum,

Monty

For information on how to become a Prison Pen Pal, please contact:
Mary Mother of Captives
PO Box 52416
Philadelphia, PA 19115
215.698.7656

e-mail: Mary Mother of Captives

No comments:

Post a Comment