Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Lost Sheep - Good Shepherd

Have you ever contemplated upon the mental image of the shepherd from Matthew and Luke's gospels -- the shepherd who leaves the flock of ninety-nine sheep to find the one that was lost? Have you ever noticed that in some of the paintings of Jesus as the shepherd, the lamb hoisted upon His shoulders has a bandage around one leg? Sheep ranchers will tell you that in some cases, a young lamb will habitually stray -- no matter how many times the shepherd brings it back to the flock, it continues to run off - leading other members of the flock to stray as well.


In severe cases, in order to protect the life of the young lamb and the rest of the flock, the shepherd is forced to do the unthinkable...... the shepherd intentionally breaks the leg of the habitually wandering lamb.

Of course, the good shepherd continues to take care of the lamb; by bringing it water and food, even carrying it on his shoulders at times to help it keep up with the rest of the flock and to protect it from predators. Over time, as the leg heals, the lamb becomes quite attached to the shepherd -- it recognizes its dependence on the shepherd for everything it needs to survive -- so when the leg is healed and the bandage removed, it recognizes its master's voice and happily follows him wherever he goes. The lamb is literally transformed through suffering.


As Christians we believe in original and personal sine and regularly witness the pain and suffering brought about as a result of sin. Sometimes our lack of trust makes us question: would a loving and caring God cause, much less allow this pain and suffering?


We need to ask, would a loving mother or father discipline a small child who was reaching for an open flame or toddling towards a busy intersection? We can all agree it would be a sure sign of uncaring, unloving parents who would refrain from doing everything in their power to protect their innocent children from harm. Although discipline seems painful at the time, later however, if administered out of genuine love, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. (Heb 12:11)

Like the rebellious lamb, there are times in our lives when we stray -- times when God has to break us of our pride, our self-centeredness and our stubbornness. He does it because He loves us and doesn't want to see us stray into darkness or lead others into spiritual danger. So he disciplines us, breaks us; then fixes us, and as a result, we are transformed. As we realize our dependence on Him, we learn to obey Him and then follow Him. The discipline of God isn't always pleasant, but eventually, if we realize God’s loving intent and understand His loving mercy, it can ultimately produce righteousness and peace.

Men and women in prison sometimes through the grace of God; can teach all of us a little bit about redemption and the gentle pull of faith, and a glimpse of what it feels like to be a lamb so lovingly cared for by the Good Shepherd. Read Monty’s letter below as an inspiring example of this transformation.


Monty S. #215642
Lieber C.I.
Ridgeville, SC 29472-02O5



I am doing well here, counting each day as a blessing from the Lord.

I would like to share a little of my faith journey with you. I was not raised in a religious family. We were not church going people. Not regularly anyway. As a child I did attend church from time to time but not enough to know what it was really and truly all about. I just was never taught.

One thing about being incarcerated is that it gives you plenty of time to think. I would often think about the people I knew throughout my life up to the time of my imprisonment. I was in a sense trying to figure out why some of those people seemed to be successful in their lives while my life at that point had come to such a dismal failure. Not all of these people were necessarily wealthy in a financial sense. In fact, only a few would fit that category of “success.” They were all just successful at life. They were happy with life and always, or most always, seemed to be at least cheerful about things. I must have thought about this a hundred million times. I would even make lists of the people for comparison trying to figure it out. I was desperate to know where I had gone so wrong.

Then one day it hit me: The most successful people I had ever known in my life all had one very important link in common -- they were all Christians. “Wow,” I said to myself. I was glad to finally have that one figured out. And, that was that. Or so I thought at the time.

In my life I suffered terrible personal loss, the death of my mom and older brother and the widening gulf between my son and I. Add to that the other terrible issues of guilt and remorse I have been suffering with for years and I was in awful shape spiritually and emotionally. I was completely useless. I had no life. I had no future. I had nothing. I was worthless.

Then, through the grace of God I finally began to connect the dots and the picture that emerged was of the Cross and Christ Crucified. Jesus left the ninety-nine to find the one and on that day I was the one. He had been calling me all along. He has let me know beyond any shadow of a doubt that I am by no means useless or worthless. I do have a wonderful future and I have more blessings than I can count. I do have a life and my life is in Him. My hope is in my Savior and He will never let me down. What more could anyone hope for?

My new reality is this: God is the most real thing in my life. There is no shortcut out of here or out of this life, but He has given me an uncommon peace, strength and clear direction in my life. God designed me for success and I will achieve it. I used to wonder what I would do with what was left of my once-broken life; now I know. I became a new person and God made me that way. I was completely shattered and He fixed me and sustains me each and every day. He is my Savior and my hope and I do my best to bring Him honor and glory in all that I do. I was made to love Him.

We are all in pursuit of holiness and through the grace and love of Christ our Lord we shall someday achieve our goal and gaze upon the face of God for eternity.

May the God of hope fill you with all Joy and Peace in believing, so that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. (Romans 15:13)

Sincerely in Christ,

Monty

No comments:

Post a Comment